Given that billions of people use social media each month, it is no surprise that it affects businesses. Each month, there are 10 million mentions across social media of Fortune 100 companies. Of these companies, 87% of them use social media actively as it allows businesses to have direct communication with their customers.
If you have a problem with your new phone, you tweet your provider. If you were unimpressed by the new restaurant you tried at the weekend, you can leave a scorning review on Facebook. If the clothes company you like just posted a photo of a great new outfit on Instagram, you can click through to their products and purchase one of your own. Customer service can be improved, you can better understand the needs of your customers and, most importantly, you can make more sales.
Social media channels have transformed the way that businesses communicate, from interacting with customers to keeping an eye on competitors. It’s important to keep up in a constantly evolving digital world, but if you’re not used to doing it every aspect of your life, it can take some getting used to. That’s how we help. Here at Pixus we can create and drive a social media campaign for your business in just four steps. First, we’ll analyse any work that you have already done on your social media to see how it can be improved. Then, we’ll set up social media accounts for you using your existing branding. Once you’re all set, we will constantly review your social media presence to see how you’re getting on. Lastly, we’ll produce monthly reports to show how your social media accounts are improving. Sound good? OK, so now you know what we do, let’s look at some of the ways we do it.
Developing a social media strategy
If you have a social media strategy, it will allow you to reach and engage existing customers whilst spreading the word about all the great work that you’re doing. It’s important to know your audience, as the viral nature of social media means that one well timed interaction with a person can spread quickly, particularly if you are likeable and approachable. In terms of deciding which social media channel to use, it’s best to focus on a few platforms which are relevant to your audience. They all have their strengths and weaknesses:
- Facebook – A business Facebook page can help you connect with existing clients and develop new relationships. The ‘like’ button is useful to generate interest in products and services.
- Twitter – Twitter is where you can be most relatable, by retweeting and commenting on customers and other companies tweets.
- LinkedIn – LinkedIn is useful to help you project a professional image to the public whilst establishing your business presence.
- Google+ – Often looked down on, Google+’s +1 button is used over two billion times a day. It’s a good site to use to improve your SEO rankings too.
- Instagram – Has over 90 million users. Use it to post relevant and compelling images.
- Pinterest – Very popular with women and users can pin things directly from your website.
- Youtube – If you’re going to use this, keep videos brief and tell your viewers about your products.
Once you’ve decided which platforms to use, think about the kind of content you want. Luckily, here at Pixus we have a team of content writers who will manage this for you, creating shareable user friendly content for your audience to engage with.
With social media, you must be consistent. You should never just ‘set and forget’ a social media profile. Remember that social media is a two way street and follow the 80/20 principle – 80% of the time you should be friendly through participation, such as retweeting and commenting on things, and the remaining 20% of the time you can use for promotion. Always ask your followers to engage, whether it’s by asking them a question or asking them to submit a photo, they are much more likely to respond once invited. If someone interacts with you directly, always respond as soon as you can. Lastly, be patient. Building influence on social media can take a lot of time and effort.
Why you need a social media strategy
There are so many benefits to having a strong social media presence. Primarily, because you have to think about what you want your social media strategy to achieve, it gives you direction for other parts of your business. It will help you get to know your customers until they become like old friends. It’ll keep you competitive, because you constantly have to think about what other companies like you are doing. It improves customer service and communication, allowing you to resolve issues promptly. Lastly, it’s a lot cheaper than the traditional means of marketing.
If this sounds good to you and you’re ready to dive head first into social media with your thumbs at the ready, give us a call or drop us an e-mail and we’ll see how we can shape your social media strategy.